Dr. Stephen S. Estey, D.D.

From 1904-1929, Estey served as the longest pastorate First Presbyterian Church has known to this
present time.  His years at First Presbyterian were marked by a strong emphasis on education. One of Dr. Estey’s first projects was the remodeling of the church auditorium and Sunday School, prompted mainly by Mrs. Jane C. Stormont’s $4,000 gift for a new pipe organ. It is noteworthy that Sunday School attendance reached record high levels
during Dr. Estey’s administration, particularly in 1915; of a total 1,362 membership, 1,219 were
attending Sunday School.

Go Back