Job Classification: Non-exempt, Part-time (10 hours/week) $13-$15/hour dependent on experience
Work Schedule: Monday through Friday, mutually agreed upon times
Reporting Relationship: Pastor/Head of Staff
The Accounting Assistant will handle various administrative and clerical tasks related to church finances. Primary responsibilities include making bank deposits, preparing invoices for payment, and keeping financial records, all while delivering high-quality customer service to church members and leadership. A keen eye for detail, strong math skills and the ability to multi-task efficiently are necessary. Trustworthiness with confidential financial information and excellent communication skills are a must.
- Prepares the deposit each week, including completion of the spreadsheet that serves as a guide for member contributions.
- Processes invoices and ensures all check requests are properly completed and sent to our accounting firm. Print the checks. Ensures checks are appropriately signed and mailed.
- Assists the Pastor/Head of Staff by keeping track of employee time sheets, time off requests, and sick time. Runs background checks on all new employees and makes sure we have all necessary paperwork for employee files (W-4’s, etc.).
- Notifies the Pastor/Head of Staff when any special gifts arrive, or any communications related to a member’s pledge. Ensures all gifts and contributions are promptly and appropriately acknowledged, including all memorial contributions.
- Mails quarterly and annual contribution statements to members (with a thank-you letter written by a pastor or elder).
- Emails committee budgets and transaction reports to committee chairs each month
- Responds to questions from members concerning their gifts and pledges.
- When requested, produces reports for the Pastor/Head of Staff related to stewardship and pledges.
- Keep track of petty cash
- Performs additional duties as assigned by the Pastor/Head of Staff.
- High school diploma or equivalent, with two (2) or more years of experience with similar responsibilities
- Proficient with Microsoft Office and database systems.
- Ability to organize, multi-task, plan, solve problems, and set priorities with minimal supervision.
- Knowledge of basic bookkeeping and financial transactions.
- Familiarity with financial regulations (GAAP) is a plus.
- Excellent verbal and written communication skills.
- Demonstrate poise, tact, and diplomacy in handling sensitive and confidential information.
- Strong attention to detail.
- Trustworthiness, reliability, and strong work ethic.
- Uphold and work within the policies and procedures of the First Presbyterian Church of Topeka, KS, which is a congregation of the Presbyterian Church (USA)
- Ability to sit or stand for extended periods of time.
- Ability to read computer screens and email, mail, and talk on the phone.
- Ability to lift up to twenty-five (25) pounds.
- Professional environment in the church office
- Interaction with staff, members and visitors
Additional duties and responsibilities may be added to this job description at any time.
The job description does not state or imply that these are the only activities to be performed by the employee (s) holding this position. Employees are required to follow any other job-related instructions and to perform any other job-related responsibilities as requested by their supervisor.
This position is also listed on: